Upgrade your grilled cheese game with this apple, bacon, and cheddar sandwich. Cooked in a cast iron skillet over a campfire or your camp stove, this is the quick and easy hot lunch idea you’ve been waiting for.
In the summer, a campfire during the day seems crazy. It’s usually hot enough as it is, without making it any hotter. But as cooler temperatures arrive, a campfire during the day starts to sound like a pretty good idea. It’s also great if you want to cook yourself a hot lunch. If that’s the case, then this Apple Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese is a quick and easy meal to make when lunchtime rolls around.
One of the most annoying parts of making grilled cheese is getting the butter to the right semi-soft temperature so it spreads evenly on the bread. This can be a particular challenge when it’s cold outside. But this grilled cheese recipe is different. It doesn’t use any butter! Instead, it uses rendered bacon grease to toast the bread and imbue it with savory bacon flavor.
First, you fry up your bacon in a cast iron skillet and then remove. Then, assemble your sandwiches with slices of apple, sharp cheddar, and bacon. Place the sandwiches back into the skillet and return the whole thing to the fire. Flip, wait, serve, and enjoy.
Apple Bacon Cheddar Grilled Cheese
Crispy bacon, sweet apples, and gooey cheddar – this upgraded grilled cheese is a great camping lunch idea that can be cooked in a skillet over the campfire or on your camp stove.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices bacon (cut in half)
- 4 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese (sliced)
- ½ apple (thinly sliced)
- Set a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon. Cook, flipping as needed until some of the fat has rendered out and the bacon is cooked to your liking. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Move the skillet over medium heat and add two slices of bread. On each slice of bread, layer half the cheese, apples, and bacon, and then top with the second slices of bread.
- Cook until the bottom of the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese begins to melt, then flip to cook the other side.
- Serve & enjoy!
Sharp knife + cutting board
Skillet or griddle
Plate lined with a paper towel
The post Apple, Bacon & Cheddar Grilled Cheese appeared first on Fresh Off The Grid.