I’m truly excited to percentage this recipe which I’ve designed for the Monarch Island Cookbook to rejoice the meals of Lanzarote.
I’d by no means heard of Frangollo prior to, till researching the normal meals of this superbly unspoiled island. After I got here throughout it, I knew I needed to make a model of it. I’m, finally, a sucker for convenience meals and this regarded mighty snug.
Frangollo is made around the Canary Islands and is historically made with millet flour or maize, enriched with butter and eggs and sweetened with hints of citrus and spice. It’s like a thick, creamy semolina pudding however with thrilling pops of flavour and added texture from almonds and dried fruit.
I favored mine nonetheless heat, however you’ll be able to additionally relax it to a company flan like dessert that may be scooped or minimize into slices. It’s simplicity is pleasant and it’s zesty aromas much more so.
It’s no longer too candy so a drizzle of your favorite syrup would possibly simply make it excessive scrumptious for you. In spite of it’s comforting nature, it’s in truth no longer very heavy and the citrus zest cuts throughout the richness completely.
Plus, with out the eggs and butter, you’ll be able to experience this beautiful dessert guilt loose!
I discovered a bottle of rum I had infused with cinnamon sticks, orange and lemon peel ultimate 12 months and forgotten about. The scent is out of this international and is an ideal addition to this recipe. Then again, for those who haven’t were given a forgotten bottle of house spiced rum lurking within the larder, merely use purchased spiced or common rum or depart it out totally for those who desire.
It’s really easy… Merely infuse the milk with the sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and rum (if the use of).
In the meantime, slowly toast the almonds to a wonderful, golden hue.
Whisk within the millet and almonds and the dissolved custard powder (if the use of).
Then stir within the dried fruit or raisins and cook dinner, stirring continuously for 10 mins till superbly thick and the fruit plumped and juicy.
Serve with an additional sprinkling of toasted almonds, and a drizzle of maple syrup, if you want.
- three cups/750ml unsweetened almond (or soya) milk*
- 90g granulated sugar (white, coconut, eryhtitol and so forth)
- zest of one orange, finely grated
- three/four tsp flooring cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp spiced rum (not obligatory)
- 1/eight tsp sea salt
- 80 g flooring almonds
- 100g millet flour (frangollo), positive polenta or semolina††
- 2 tbsp custard powder (not obligatory)†
- half cup dried blended fruit or raisins
*use a impartial milk. Milks with sturdy flavours like coconut or hemp would possibly impart an excessive amount of flavour.
†this provides richness and thickens the place egg yolks most often would. Use corn starch/flour or forget altogether for a lighter pudding.
††Semolina IS NOT gluten loose
- Upload the primary seven substances (milk – salt) into a big saucepan and position over a medium warmth. Go away the milk to infuse, with out boiling for ten mins.
- In the meantime, upload the almonds to a frying pan and position over a low-medium warmth. Stir each and every thirty seconds or so, till they’re a uniform, golden brown. Take away from the warmth and put aside.
- Dissolve the custard powder in a few tablespoons of milk or water. Whisk the millet and lots of the toasted almonds (reserve a heaped tablespoon for topping) into the milk, adopted by means of the dissolved custard powder, if the use of. Stir within the dried fruit.
- Proceed to cook dinner over a low-medium warmth, stirring often, till thickened and fairly effervescent, about ten mins.
- Both serve straight away in bowls scattered with reserved almonds or unfold right into a baking dish, scatter with the almonds and relax till company.
I like to listen to from you! Why no longer depart a remark beneath or hook up with me on social media?