Salads might not be the first thing you think of in terms of camping food, but this Grilled Peach Caprese Salad by contributor Emily Hlavac Green has got us craving a big bowl of greens.
There’s little more beautiful, simple or tasty than a classic Caprese Salad, IMO. Perhaps because I’m a huge meat and cheese fan, or it’s down to my love of all things balsamic.
On our latest adventure upstate, we picked up some of the late summers produce – huge juicy peaches and deep red heirloom tomatoes to add to our camp meal toolbox. This recipe has a twist on the traditional Caprese, switching out basil for mint.
The grilled peaches have a little chared smokiness to them and warrant lighting a campfire. If you have it, watermelon also works really well in here.
SNOW PEAK PLATE
FOLD AWAY GRILL
Caprese Salad with Grilled Peaches
This Grilled Peach Caprese Salad is a colorful (and tasty!) way to add some greens to your camping menu.
- 1 large peach
- 1 large heirloom tomato (sliced into wedges)
- 8 oz ball of fresh mozzarella (torn into 1/2 inch sized pieces)
- 6-8 slices of prosciutto (cut into thin strips)
- a handful of fresh mint leaves (torn)
- couple of handfuls of arugula
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic reduction ((recipe follows))
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slice peach in half and remove the stone.
- Place on grill cut side down over the campfire and leave until you have a slight char. Remove and slice.
- Arrange arugula, tomato slices, mozzarella, prosciutto and mint between two plates. Top with sliced roasted peaches and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic reduction. Season with salt & pepper.
FOR THE BALSAMIC REDUCTION
To make a balsamic reduction, bring 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepot. Reduce the heat and simmer until the vinegar has thickened to the consistency of syrup, about 10 minutes. This can be prepared ahead of time and transported to camp in a small, sealable container.
Sharp knife + cutting board
Plates + utensils for serving
The post Grilled Peach Caprese Salad appeared first on Fresh Off The Grid.