Namibia was once the most costly go back and forth we’ve ever taken, however we don’t remorseful about it in any respect. In two weeks we noticed cheetahs, leopards, and rhinos; climbed a large sand dune; snorkelled with seal domestic dogs; and drove for hours via probably the most far flung desert we’ve ever skilled.
Learn our Namibia highway go back and forth itinerary for all of the main points of what we did and the place we stayed.
We stored up for our Namibia go back and forth, so we didn’t attempt to keep on with a specific funds, even if we have shyed away from the very dear ($500+ an evening) inns. We stayed in mid-range inns, typically with breakfast and dinner integrated, rented an SUV, and did no matter actions we would have liked.
You have to trip in Namibia for much less via tenting and self-catering or opting for less expensive accommodations.
As at all times, we tracked our bills with our trip funds app Path Pockets, which permits us to go into our bills within the native forex (Namibian bucks) and spot how a lot we’re spending in our house forex (British kilos). The abstract display shows our go back and forth prices in kilos and, with a faucet of the display, converts to Namibian bucks in addition to US bucks.
Right here’s our general Namibia funds for 2 other folks for a 15 night time Namibia highway go back and forth in April 2017:
The Path Pockets abstract display appearing our general Namibia trip prices in USD, GBP and NAD.
Our reasonable day-to-day spend was once £287/ $365 which is £144/ $183 in step with particular person. Right here’s what we spent it on:
The pie chart display of Path Pockets appearing what we spent in Namibia in step with class
Word: The present trade charge is roughly 1 GBP = 17 NAD and 1 USD = 13 NAD. Namibian bucks are identical to South African rand and can be utilized interchangeably.
22% of general. £64/ $81 an afternoon
Automobile rent is pricey in Namibia, nevertheless it’s the one method to get round until you sign up for a excursion.
The most important choice we needed to make was once whether or not to hire a typical sedan or a 4 wheel drive. Many of the roads in Namibia are gravel, however it’s imaginable to power on them in an ordinary automotive.
We made up our minds to possibility it and used Kayak to seek for the most cost effective apartment. We at first booked a Toyota Corolla for £421 ($556) for 15 days, but if our pals visited Namibia the month sooner than us, they ended up shedding a work of the bottom in their automotive from all of the rocks bouncing round.
We made up our minds it will be more secure and extra comfy to hire a better clearance SUV. So we modified our reserving (once more we searched with Kayak and booked with Argus for a Thrifty automotive) to a Nissan X-Path at a painful virtually double the cost of £810 ($1069). After all we have been pleased with our choice.
Our Nissan X-Path SUV in Namibia
A 4 wheel drive would have value much more, plus they’ve upper excesses and gasoline prices.
Petrol value us 2197 NAD ($170) for the entire go back and forth of 2658km (1652 miles). Petrol was once round 11 NAD ($zero.85) a litre and our prices come with a tip for the petrol station attendant who fills up for you.
The one different shipping value was once 300 NAD ($23) for 2 go back journeys at the 4 wheel drive taxi to get to Sossusvlei because the ultimate segment is deep sand.
Our Namibia funds doesn’t come with our flights to Namibia as those will likely be other for everybody relying on the place you return from. Our flights there value 1799 ZAR ($139) from Cape The town to Windhoek on Air Namibia and from Windhoek to Johannesburg on British Airlines was once 1494 NAD ($116).
58% of general. £166/ $211 an afternoon
Lodging was once via a ways our greatest expense. Many of the points of interest are clear of cities so that you keep in far flung inns. We selected nicer inns in Namibia as we would have liked delightful puts to loosen up between lengthy drives and actions. We didn’t keep any place tremendous sumptuous—many inns value far more.
Virtually far and wide we stayed integrated a big breakfast, three-course dinner, and occasionally afternoon cake and low.
Lodging in Namibia is more economical within the cities of Windhoek and Swakopmund as there’s extra selection and also you don’t must consume at your lodging.
Listed here are the puts we stayed with the price in step with night time for 2 other folks from most cost-effective to costliest. All come with breakfast and dinner until famous:
- Caothinha Guesthouse, Windhoek 1079 NAD ($83) breakfast most effective – A easy however comfy and pleasant guesthouse with a small pool.
- Halali Camp, Etosha Nationwide Park 1760 NAD ($136) breakfast most effective – Our honeymoon suite was once great however we didn’t just like the camp.
- Swakopmund Luxurious Suites, Swakopmund 1845 NAD ($143) breakfast most effective – A good looking, fashionable room with all conveniences a couple of mins stroll from the seashore.
- The Sublime Farmstead (north of Windhoek) 2546 NAD ($197) – A pleasant resort in gorgeous grounds with a pool. Our room was once easy however comfy.
- Mushara Hotel, Etosha 2775 NAD ($215) – Probably the most sumptuous position we stayed with beautiful rooms, pool, and a good looking living room/bar. A 10-minute power from the Etosha gate.
- Moon Mountain Hotel, Solitaire 3474 NAD ($269) – A impressive surroundings quite close to the Sossusvlei dunes. The tents aren’t fancy however they’ve correct beds, bogs, and a plunge pool.
- Huab Hotel, Damaraland 3978 NAD ($308) – All over in Damaraland was once truly dear because it’s so far flung. Delightful eco-friendly rooms (no A/C) with a view, tranquil surroundings, pool and sizzling springs.
- Okonjima Plains Camp 4050 NAD ($313) – The cheetah and leopard safari drives (further price) are the spotlight. Our same old room was once massive and happy with a bush view—you’ll be able to occasionally see animals and will definitely listen them at night time.
If you wish to save on lodging, glance on Reserving.com for less expensive inns and farm remains. You have to additionally camp and self-cater.
Lodging costs will likely be decrease right through the low-season. Whilst April isn’t typically top season, we have been travelling right through the Easter vacations.
Moon Mountain Hotel within the Namib Desolate tract
10% of general. £28/ $36 an afternoon
This comprises our consuming out and meals buying groceries budgets. Maximum of our foods have been integrated within the Lodging funds. This class covers our lunches and beverages at inns, and lunches and dinners in Halali, Swakopmund, and Windhoek.
Consuming out in cities isn’t that dear. We paid from 200 to 350 NAD ($15 – $27) for 2 other folks.
We stocked up on the grocery store with snacks for the lengthy drives (there’s infrequently any place to forestall for lunch).
Faucet water is drinkable so we didn’t spend the rest on water.
eight% of general. £23/ $29 an afternoon
Our Namibia actions integrated (with the price in step with particular person):
- Front charges to Namib-Naukluft and Etosha Nationwide Parks – 85 NAD ($7) in step with day (3 days in general)
- Sundowner power at The Sublime Farmstead – 180 NAD ($14)
- Sundowner power at Huab Hotel – 450 NAD ($35)
- Kayaking with seals – 650 NAD ($50)
- Two cheetah and leopard safari drives at Okonjima – 670 NAD ($52) in step with power
Getting up with regards to cheetahs at Okonjima was once utterly value it
2% of general. £6/ $7 an afternoon
This consisted of guidelines for resort personnel, an Etosha map, and lip balm. A load of laundry at Huab Hotel value us 130 NAD ($10). Our MTC SIM card and 3GB knowledge plan value us 402 NAD ($31) on the airport.
Namibia Bills No longer Incorporated Above
I like to recommend the Bradt Namibia guidebook, which is the most efficient information for Namibia.
Shuttle insurance coverage is very important in case the rest is going fallacious. We have now an annual coverage with True Traveller, which is very good price for UK and EU electorate. International Nomads is any other well-respected corporate who we’ve used up to now.
Maximum automotive rent firms in Namibia have top extra quantities that you must quilt when you’ve got an twist of fate. They’ll be offering dear insurance coverage to scale back the surplus, nevertheless it’s a lot less expensive to shop for a separate coverage. Our annual international coverage value us £52 ($67). UK citizens can glance on Cash Saving Skilled for the most efficient insurance coverage offers.
Different Namibia Shuttle Budgets
You’ll be able to trip Namibia for not up to we did:
- Lauren of By no means Finishing Footsteps spent $132 an afternoon on a identical go back and forth to ours however travelling in an ordinary automotive within the March off-season.
- Daring Shuttle additionally spent $132 in step with particular person in step with day renting a 4 wheel drive and tenting of their rooftop tent.
- The place is Andrea displays how affordable Namibia can also be in the event you camp, self-cater and proportion a compact automotive apartment with different travellers.
Namibia was once much more dear than South Africa the place lodging and automotive rent costs are a lot decrease (see our South Africa trip prices). If you’re on a decent funds, South Africa may well be a better choice, however if you’re in search of a extra far flung, wilder enjoy, Namibia is definitely worth the splurge.
Don’t omit our Namibia highway go back and forth itinerary for the place we went and our best guidelines for making plans your individual Namibia self power go back and forth.
That will help you keep on funds to your travels, sign up for 150,000 different customers and obtain our iPhone app Path Pockets.
If you happen to loved this put up, pin it!
- How A lot Does a South Africa Highway Shuttle Value?
- Namibia Highway Shuttle: The Highest 2 Week Itinerary
- How We Have been Robbed and The right way to Steer clear of It