What on Earth is Rumbledethumps? I pay attention lots of you asking!
Rumbledethumps is a standard Scottish dish similar to a Scottish model of Bubble and Squeak or Irish Colcannon. Mainly, mashed potatoes with yummy issues added – onions, cabbage and cheese. Just like Bubble and Squeak, it’s concept to had been created as some way of the use of up leftovers. These days, it’s scrumptious sufficient to make from scratch or even bought in supermarkets as a able meal facet dish.
I’m celebrating British Meals Fortnight with Aldi and am excited to percentage this recipe for a vintage, British dish. It’s easy, nourishing, and maximum scrumptious! One serving incorporates a whopping 191% diet C RDA plus 15% calcium, 22% iron and 10.2g protein. It’s additionally prime in fibre, potassium and diet B6.
I used to be so inspired by means of the variability of British produce at my native Aldi. In truth, virtually all the greens had been of British foundation and the berries too! No longer simply British, I even discovered strawberries grown in my very own county. How’s that for a birthday party of British and native meals!
I used to be additionally happy to seek out reasonably priced natural pieces together with a fantastic uncooked, virgin, chilly pressed natural coconut oil for simply £2.49! Sure, £2.49!
The entire elements used on this recipe had been both British or Natural.
So, what’s British Meals Fortnight, anyway?
It was once established within the wake of the Foot and Mouth disaster, in line with the truth that, despite the fact that there are a lot of meals projects, tasks and occasions happening throughout Britain, there was once no total flagship match to deliver them to the general public’s consideration.
Since its beginnings in 2002, British Meals Fortnight has transform THE alternative for individuals who paintings in any facet of foods and drinks, to come back in combination and advertise some great benefits of purchasing and consuming from our house produced British larder. Supply
Learn extra about British Meals Fortnight and Aldi’s dedication to British produce:
14 Issues You Can Do Right through British Meals Fortnight
What’s In Season Right through British Meals Fortnight
Clinic and College Catering Pilots
- 1 tsp coconut oil (not obligatory)
- 1.2 kg purple potatoes
- 1 medium Savoy cabbage
- 1 small onion
- four massive spring onions
- half cup unsweetened soya milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 60g vegan mozzarella or cheddar (I exploit Violife pizza cheese)
- Wash the potatoes and reduce into even sized chunks. Position in a pan of salted chilly water and position on a prime warmth with a lid on to come back to a boil. Decrease the warmth and simmer for 15-20 mins or till knife mushy.
- In the meantime, shred the cabbage, cube the onion, trim and slice the spring onions.
- While the potatoes are cooking, warmth the coconut oil (or cooking spray or a splash of water) in a saute pan and sweat the onion gently for five mins, ahead of including the spring onion and a pinch of salt. Depart to softly prepare dinner while the potatoes boil.
- Upload the shredded cabbage on best of the potatoes for a few mins on the finish of cooking to wilt. Make sure to use a lid so the cabbage can steam.
- Drain the cabbage and potatoes neatly then go back to the pan. Preheat the oven to 200’C/400’F.
- Upload the onions to the potatoes and use a potato masher to overwhelm the potatoes. You don’t desire a easy mash so depart some chunky bits too. Upload the salt and soy milk and blend with a spoon so you’ve got a cohesive, rustic mash.
- Pile right into a baking dish, even it out however depart lumps and bumps at the floor to crisp and grate over the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 mins till effervescent and golden.
- Serve steaming sizzling, as an aspect dish or as a comforting bowlful, possibly with some beans.
I really like to listen to from you and hook up with new bloggers and readers! Why no longer depart a remark under or hook up with me on social media?